The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is looking for Short-term consultant in support of communication and PR on free movement in Africa to the African Union’s Economic Social and Cultural Council (AU ECOSOCC).
Further details of the assignment can be found in the Terms of Reference. Please request all tender documents by email from email@example.com by mentioning "**83413069._ short-term media and communication expert **" on the subject email.
The overall objective that the expert shall contribute to further developing ECOSOCC’s communication strategies and approaches towards popularizing the free movement protocol and other migration-related policies and related social issues and, thereby ultimately, contribute to awareness-raising and advocacy on and the ratification of the AU FMP and related policies. The contractor is mainly responsible for providing the following services amongst other tasks:
- Contribute to further developing ECOSOCC’s communication strategies and approaches towards popularizing the free movement protocol and other migration-related policies with a special focus on African citizens and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs).
- Support in building ECOSOCC’s high performance communications & marketing function that is managed, structured, focused and resourced for productive and quality work.
- Develop evidence-based content and support in awareness-raising and advocacy on as well as the ratification of the AU FMP.
- Work with ECOSOCC to strategically position the AU organ in mainstream and social media to mobilize public support for social policy changes with a focus on movement and migration.
- Work with ECOSOCC to leverage social media and other channels to grow its brand awareness and continuous brand building.
- Create and maintain database(s) of media houses to better coordinate the creation and dissemination of FMP communication materials across the African continent.
- Initiate, coordinate and support public communications activities for the FMP through the drafting of talking points, speeches, press releases, Op-Eds, interviews, events, photos and other communication products.
- Develop, maintain and update a digital photo, audio and video library.
- Act as communication focal point for AU ECOSOCC & GIZ on all communication needs on the FMP in close collaboration with the ECOSOCC Secretariat & GIZ AU project team respectively.
- Propose, develop, coordinate, and manage creative communication activities to reach the demographics set out by ECOSOCC Secretariat and GIZ regarding the FMP.
- Work closely with the ECOSOCC communication unit to ensure technical support and media coverage of all ECOSOCC events and missions.
Period of assignment: September 9, 2022, to December 31st , 2023 for up to 160 working days (remotely and on-site at event locations in Africa that are to be defined).
- Education/training (2.2.1):
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or related discipline. Master’s degree preferred, but not essential.
- Language (2.2.2):
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
- General professional experience (2.2.3):
- 7 years’ experience in communications or public relations, or some combination as a journalist, media specialist and PR/communications practitioner, preferably with an international NGO or non-profit. - Outstanding presentation skills and general communications skills across diverse teams with differing technical backgrounds. - Ability to translate highly technical source material into compelling, accessible content for a general audience.
- Specific professional experience (2.2.4):
- 5 years’ experience producing communications assets tailored to a range of different target audiences. - 5 years’ familiarity with campaign development, branding for organizations, including layouting/graphic design. - 3 years’ experience as photographer and writer (including story telling); experience in videography is an asset. - 3 years’ work experience with African CSOs; good understanding of advocacy and sensitisation among civil society groups. - Good understanding of approaches to/requirements related to PR/communications in the AU context - Knowledge of ECOSOCC or a similar AU organ working with African civil society groups will be an added advantage (to be proven through work experience/cooperation with AU, ECOSOCC, other AU organs and/or regional organisations).
- Regional experience (2.2.6):
- 6 years’ experience of working with/in African organizations and with different audiences in Africa; - 3 years of general experience working with the AU and African regional bodies (RECs, regional mechanism etc.) is an added advantage.
How to apply
Please request all tender documents via email from firstname.lastname@example.org by mentioning cosft no.83413069_ short-term media and communication expert **" on your subject email.
Tender documents include:
- Terms of reference (ToR) with description of tasks,
- Price sheet for submission of financial offer,
- Evaluation grid for technical evaluation of the offers,
- GIZ invitation letter,
- Bidding conditions,
- General Terms and Conditions of Contract (AVB local),
- Eligibility self-declaration,
- Specimen association clause
- Extract from act against restraints on competition.