Vacancy Announcement : Driver (Local)
|GSB7 (Step 1)
|Country (Duty Station)
|City (Duty Station)
|Number of Positions
As this is a local position, applicants must be holders of valid residence and work permits of the duty station
The Economic, Social and Cultural Council (ECOSOCC) is an advisory organ of the African Union, established during the third Ordinary Session of the AU Assembly in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in 2004 under the provisions of articles 5 (i) and 22 of the AU Constitutive Act. The organ is mandated to actively engage civil society in the processes and work of the Union, particularly with regards to Africa’s integration and development. ECOSOCC comprises various social, private sector and professional groups of member states of the union, and the African diaspora (Assembly/AU/ Dec.48 (III)) and functions primarily as a bridge through which the African Union can partner and engage with civil society organizations on the continent
In seeking to achieve this objective, the ECOSOCC Secretariat intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among others, the implementation of its organizational structure by filling the above vacant posts. Under the overall supervision of the Head of Finance and administration Unit, the driver will be reporting to the HR Officer,
Duties and Responsibilities
The driver shall perform the following tasks:
- Drive office vehicles safely and transport authorized personnel, official visitors and guests to and from official destinations, including the airport, Diplomatic Missions and/or International Organizations, Government Offices etc.
- Collect and deliver official mails, documents and other items to and outside the office.
- Run errands for the office, as will be directed by supervisor i.e. payment of bills, and makes minor purchases of office supplies.
- Take note of all available information concerning street conditions and effective routes.
- Act in compliance with traffic laws and regulations. Carry his/her valid driving license at all times while operating the assigned official vehicles; and Observe Maximum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) and ensure compliance;
- Clean the office vehicle regularly and ensure that vehicle service record is up-to-date. Report all defects on time and the need for maintenance.
- Take care of the daily and routine maintenance of assigned vehicles; and comply with vehicle maintenance best practice (check oil, water, brake and clutch fluids etc.)
- Maintain vehicle logbook on a daily basis, and keep record all official trips and movements, (daily mileage, gas consumption) and hand ensure the log is check by the supervisor regularly.
- Ensure the presence of safety and service tools in the assigned vehicle and that they are in good conditions;
- Report any involvement of the office vehicle in any kind of accidents, any damage or theft of equipment from the vehicle by Complete and submit immediately the incident report or police reports.
- Provide support in case of any emergencies.
- In addition to the above, perform any other additional duties as may be directed by his/her supervisor(s).
1 - Qualifications and Experience Required
- Technical/Vocational Certificate or High school certificate. Higher qualification will be an added advantage.
- Clean and valid driving licence
- Academic Qualification in Auto Mechanics will be an added advantage
- Defensive driving training certificate or related, linked to safe driving and enhancement of technical and maintenance abilities.
- A minimum of Three (3) years of driving experience.
- Familiarity to working in a diplomatic and international work environment and its protocol and demands will be a preferred advantage.
- Able to work under minimal supervision and be proactive and initiative.
- Integrity, flexible approaches to work coupled with enthusiasm, commitment and energy.
- The ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-national environment.
- Good organization and planning skills.
- Effective time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Good communication skills.
- Having clean criminal record (background check will be required on recruitment)
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and work under pressure with a wide range individuals and institutions. Maintenance of confidentiality at all times.
3 - Language requirement
Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French Portuguese and Spanish) is a must. Knowledge of other working languages would be an added advantage.
4 -Tenure of appointment:
The appointment will be made on regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years’ renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables
5 - Remuneration
Indicative basic salary of US$ 6,935.00 (GSB 7 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements for locally recruited staff of the AU e.g. dependents (spouse and children) allowance and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 3,300.00).
6 - Equal opportunity
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
7 - Application procedure
Interested parties must submit the following:
- Apply through the ECOSOCC website
- Attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae indicating the candidate’s nationality, age and gender.
- Three (3) contactable referees who have good knowledge of the candidate’s work.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Sorry… This form is closed to new submissions.